Contemporary American cuisine with a focus on dry aged beef & local products. Terrific wines at every price point. Set in a renovated 300-year-old inn, rustic charm meets contemporary style and a casual atmosphere. Private rooms hold 10-96 people.
Authentic Cuisine – Fresh Local Ingredients
We prepare a full menu featuring fresh seafood, seasonal offerings, limited batch entrees, as well as longtime favorite selections. As often as possible, our ingredients–from produce to organic dairy to grass fed beef–are sourced locally using sustainable food practices.
Over the years, the Yellow House has served as tavern, post office, general store, grocery, textile factory, and hair salon.
The Yellow House opened as an inn and tavern about 1750; the surrounding village was known by the same name until it changed to Thornton. The Yellow House was originally owned by George Pearce. One of the important clients of the Yellow House Inn was George Gray, owner of Gray’s Ferry over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia. As the American Revolution proceeded, Gray moved his family away from Philadelphia to avoid the impending British Army occupation. Yet Gray’s family could hear cannons during the Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777, and fleeing Continental Army troops came down the road right in front of the Yellow House. Gray’s wife treated wounded soldiers in the Yellow House and later a group of Virginia soldiers signed a note of appreciation for her efforts.*